Sunday, July 16

distracted minded perhaps

(updated)


Sorry, my blend of thoughtful - shaby -artistic - sexy - political - personal comments are out of commission these days.
I am trying to keep up with what is happening in Lebanon, in case you didn't know ... a massacre.
My thoughts about this are a bit in disarray. I try to keep in touch with Lebanese friends and perhaps they will be helpful to clear my mind.
Be well, Zee.

... my mind is clearer now (Monday, 17th) and here is what is going to happen - spread the word and thanks to Mirvat for organizing this demonstration:
Dear all,
I was able to organize a peaceful protest in New York. Please inform your friends and loved ones in the area. I asked Rabih from Lebanonexpats to post it on their site and he will also post it on several other sites, so will Ziad from Lebworld.com. I am also working on getting the permit right now and I have contacted friends at the embassy. We're getting the Lebanese Consul General to sponsor it and we will send the information to all the Lebanese community here and i will contact the LBCI office in New York and a friend will contact the abc channel and we are also working on a press release and trying to get as much coverage as possible (i want to thank Agnel Sfeir, Tamara Zaytouni, Anessa Bazouzi, Janelle Hraiki and Rabih Mogharbel for all their help).

The place will be: The UN headquarters First Ave between 42nd St. and 48th St
The Time: Tuesday July 18, 4:00-6:00 p.m.



PS. Thanks Granny for the link - yes a bit biased, nevertheless valuable since it comes directly out of Beirut.
And here is an interesting comment from the BBC which tries to weigh both sides from a military/political point of view.

------------------------
It is hard to keep up with the news - so many changes so fast ... but I would like to post this excerpt from an Australian newspaper that describes some aspects in a fair handed way:
"...In the worst incident so far, 20 people - nine of them children - were killed when an Israeli missile hit their fleeing convoy. Israeli loudspeakers had flushed them out of their border village, Marwaheen, warning of a raid. Israeli defence is investigating.
The attack that took place in Beirut at 6.30pm on Saturday was far less bloody but it was brutally symbolic. Two Israeli helicopters circled high out over the Bay of Beirut and carefully dispatched salvoes of rockets at the civilian harbours in Jounieh and Beirut.
Their last two missiles singled out the lighthouse at the end of Beirut's world-famous corniche, sending the few last hardy promenaders dashing for cover.
Israel's onslaught has achieved the impossible: it has taken the light out of Beirut. By day a trickle of cars pass through the usually teeming streets. In both the Muslim west and Christian east, businesses are closed and families who have not fled keep close to their homes."

16 comments:

Granny said...

So are mine but I have a link for you if I can find it again.

Granny said...

link

Certainly not unbiased but I presme it's authentic.

I picked it up from a blogger named Richard Silverstein.

Zee said...

Thank you granny - I feel very much obliged!

Granny said...

I have a post over on isamericaburning as well with a link o an interesting article.

You're welcome.

Granny said...

So why didn't I just send it?

I don't know but her it is

_z. said...

zee_

Thank you so much for trying to help, and for spreading the word! Your kind and sincere words are what the Lebanese need to give them the strength, the patience and the power to hold on... and survive.

I am lucky to have met you in the blog world.

Cynnie said...

I know i'm wimping out..but Ive been evading political stuff since bush was elected..I had some hope ..and I let myself get re-impassioned ..and the idiot americans allowed him to be re-elected!..arghhh...but then I can't imagine anyone doing anything differently..all politicians have become exactly alike...Its time for a revolution..
I think I'm resting up for that

Max and Me said...

hello zee...yes i have been wondering about you. i do hope you are okay.

Unknown said...

thank you zee

Intrepidflame said...

Saw your comments on Welcome to my Dream and wanted to say hi. Whenyou have a chance check out my blog Intrepid Flame. We may have some things in common. I will also be back here to read more of what you have to say.

Mar said...

They took the light out of Beirut but our hearts are on fire, the fire that will rebuild Lebanon and illuminate every tiny corner of it.
Thank You Zee.

* (asterisk) said...

I haven't seen much support in blogland for Lebanon, and I feel deeply aggrieved by the way so many Americans are supporting the Israeli attack. It's a terrible and disproportionate thing they are doing.

Nazli Hardy said...

Zee - I have mentioned this before and it applies more now - I am so glad that you exist!

I have been watching the news, almost desensitized, wondering how "free" humans can be so inhuman and white washed by government proganda and politics. How could it be that the lives of one group of people are worth the deaths of hundreds of another group of people.

But even worse - are the inevitabel consequences.

I was initially going to comment with amusement about the "go getter woman and more" - which I loved - but was blown away (no pun intended, beleive me) by the content of your latest blog.

Thank and be very well my friend! Are you well?

Nazli

_z. said...

Oh *(asterisk), we are here. and we are doing the best we can.
thank you all for the concern and the kind words...

pissed off patricia said...

My heart goes out to all the innocent people who are always the losers whenever any country declares war for war gains.
I can't imagine living in such conditions and I am frightened for those who do, very frightened.

Zee said...

To answer some people - I am well, but physically week due to circumstances arising from the psychological strain of present world events. Soon I can't stomach it anymore ...
I'll be at the demo tomorrow - no great expectations, but at least something.
Will tell you all how it went.