Monday, January 22

Start Wearing Purple


Gogol Bordello are a completely original New York entitity. Rubric is reissuing their debut release, Voi-La Intruder, with the track order revised and an additional 5 tracks. This is Ukranian party music. Leader Eugene Hutz is a major NYC DJ at the Bulgarian Bar on Saturday nights. The place is packed weekly with Eastern European immigrants and the hipsters who love them. The music is best described as a sort of Pogues meets traditional Ukranian folk music in a sweaty dance bar. One foot in punk rock and one foot in traditionalism, Gogol Bordello have been packing clubs in NYC and now are touring all over the place, including Russia.

3 comments:

Zee said...

No one feels like commenting on that Gogol Bordello song? Oh well ...

Gary said...

I'm a huge fan. Did you know that Eugene acts in the moving EVERYTHING IS ILLUMINATED. No! He acts the shit out of that movie - he rocks! He is funny too...

And it's not a bad movie at all.

Zee said...

I have yet to see "Everything is Illuminated" and I am going to rent the flick once I get over my lethargy I presently have towards watching moving images on a screen.
In the mean time I'm trying to play and memorize a song from Gogol which is called "Oh no" ...

... the creative mind is unstoppable...